Okay so this is the thing. I don’t drink a lot, but I love my beer and wine. I also like my weekend. I work hard and play harder. So when I realized that I had hit a point that it was all about cutting the fat and cooking the brisket (my number 3 catch phrase) I knew what had to go…the alcohol.
First came the cokes. The cokes had to go. Then the pastas and bread. HAD TO GO…there was one thing left for me to cut, the alcohol. Now I live in the south. I find that the concrete river of I-10 is my favorite place to be. That comes with bloody mary’s before lunch and beer at every meal. It is a staple of the diet. Not to mention football season is right around the corner. I can’t go tailgate and not have my boudin and beer! Or can I? That is yet to be determined, but for the next 30 days, the alcohol has to go. Before my southern girl card gets revoked, this is why:
- Alcohol is a diuretic. So all day I work to drink half my body weight in water only to lose it to my PBR or high life. This is not kosher. It is not the penguin’s tuxedo. I am losing my heard sought hydration all for 3 hours of uninhibited bliss that is stealing the hard earned nutrients as well. Speaking of that uninhibited bliss…
- Alcohol stimulates your appetite. I have busted my ass to make sure I am eating the right foods to get me back to fighting weight. Focusing on foods that are clean and real. I realize this is a vague description, so let me explain. My food intake has been delicious mix of vegetables in their natural state and rarely cooked. Lean meats of seafood, chicken, and turkey. Sometimes if I am feeling really fancy I will cook up some lean beef…after all, it is what’s for dinner. There is very little starchy carbs. When I want them, I eat them in moderation, but I am trying to break my sugar habit. What is it that I want when I drink, greasy, buttery, and sugary foods. That is what I want. I want it all and most of the time I eat it. Not only am I completely and utterly laughing while I make ridiculous 6 second loop videos on Vine that make me look like I never made it out of college days, but I am raiding whomever’s fridge happens to be in front of me of any bread, pasta, and sweet things they have. Not cool, alcohol, not cool.
- Alcohol destroys your rest. You may pass out, but you don’t sleep. Lack of sleep triggers overeating to compensate for the energy it now lacks.
- Alcohol changes your metabolism. When you eat, the food passes through each and every organ till it hits the liver. The liver then breaks it down. When you drink, all that other food is ignored. All the while the alcohol takes priority and is broken down by the liver. It is viewed as a toxin and the body just let’s all that food, sit unprocessed. This is no bueno for your fitness goals.
- Alcohol is a depressant. Sure you feel all warm and fuzzy when you are drinking, unless you are drinking cause your pissed. Then you have already broken rule number 1. Never drink upset….it will only make it worse. It is a scientific fact that alcohol is a drug and when you come down from said drugs high, serotonin escapes you and you are left feeling like Eeyore instead of Tigger. (no offense intended for Eeyore he is my favorite.)
So in our next toast, I will be clinking my glass to yours with my glass of water. Operation bounce a quarter off my ass in full swing.